An admirable and glorious work of christian art. It was founded by King Fernando III the Saint and Bishop D. Mauricio. On July 20, 1221 they placed the first stone. Nine years later they celebrated the first mass; and forty years later, they consecrated it. Its works lasted, approximately, about 400 years.
There is not any news of the first architect. It is attributed to the master Enrique, followed by Juan Perez and Pedro Sanchez.
Already in the XI century, when the Cid was departing for his exile, upon saying good-bye to Burgos, asked for the protection from the Virgin calling her Glorious Saint Mary. This trial that the old romanic Cathedral, which Alfonso VI ordered to be built, was also dedicated to the Ascent.
This Cathedral was sadly destroyed in order to level the ground and build on top the actual one. Until now there do not exist any other memories than some displayed spires in the cloister, found in the excavations which were made upon installing the heating.